Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Diesel Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    Clutch rebuilt and on. Few other misc on that side hooked up. Block, rods, pistons, gaged - torqued - height checked and rolled over. Looks and feels good. Drained oil again just in case. Only had two gallons in it and oils cheaper than issues. New filter and seals and oil. Rolled pump and once the filter was filled my 3/8 drill in low range got a good work out. Should probably borrow the 1/2 drive one here at work again. Dang gage didn't come in yet. Looks good but I want to know where this "good" is. Was ready to put the head on and had it dangling from the picker and it started to rain. Was hungry anyway... After shower the sun was back out.... Doh!

The radar on the weather shows some pretty good odds on rain this afternoon. We need it. The outdoor gargae has it's moments but rainy days isn't one of them. Guessing a couple more good days and ought to be ready to light it up. Barring anything doesn't go wrong like last go at it. Had a flashback of last go at it when I dropped a little keeper for my govenor rod down in the side cover and had to pull it and a bunch of other stuff back off to get it back out. Note to self... Self... Don't do that agin.

Where's the pictures? woot woot!

First time into it, it's all neat and you can't help but be impressed with what mother Deere came up with. But after looking at this stuff several times and fondling all the parts more than I'd really had preferred... it starts to get a little ho hum. I'll grab the camera and see if I can get some interesting entrail shots. Ah yes... machinery guts. Gotta love 'em.

It was supposed to rain today and didn't do much more than a couple sprinkles. Now it's hot and humid as all get out. Had to run some parts down the road and by the time I got back I was feeling really crappy. Chugged a Gatorade and now I'm feeling better and thinking it might be best if I top that off with a few frosty Buds.

If it isn't raining tomorrow AM... like it's supposed to so probably won't... I'll be taking a half-er to work while it's cooler out.

Well the Deere lives once again...!

Thanks a lot to my trusty helper who's always ever so pleasant...

820REPAIRS2012 008.jpg

It also adds a little something special to work on antiques using some antique equipment. I had some fun flashbacks of my grandfather and considered what he'd a thought of this project when I used his old oil can to fill all my oiler cups.

Attachment 392

I do have to admit that although my dog Bubba always likes to hang around while I'm messing with this thing he still got very excited when he'd hear me close the gate on my 1971... most excellent mobile work bench.

Attachment 390

We had a lot of pop-up storms over the last week. Some just a sprinkle for a few minutes and a couple times major sideways wind and downpours with the lightening and all. Even snapped off one of my ugly locust trees the other day. While things were still somewhat exposed I never took the tarp off entirely so I could get it covered back up quick if need be.

Attachment 391

So it's running great and I resolved some pony motor issues. Some moron put the plug wires on the pony out of order... A lot more power if it's firing when it's supposed to. Duh... That was one of those "hurrier I go the behinder I get" moments.

I got a weight on the tractor today as it sits. Wanted to know where I was for sure before adding the rest of the weight and water to the wheels. If the scale was accurate as he said it is... When fully loaded I'll be at 19,030.84 lbs. ... give or take. I wouldn't mind getting another ton or two on it but I found out this morning that the club that ran the pull for years is no longer running it and the rules have changed a little bit. It's looking right now like I might need to drop my hook point a couple maybe three inches. I want to get the tires filled and see where I'm at before I change anything. Could drop it a bit and maybe see if I want to drop my air a bit. Might only take a couple psi to get down there and with the fill I don't think cupping will be as much an issue.

Need to call the neighbor to see if I can borrow his pump again... I hate borrowing tools but I really don't want to buy a filling pump if I can help it. I have four barrels I filled over the last week so I'll only need to run my well for another four to get it done. It's really hard to picture that when you look at the tire then four drums beside it that four drums could fit in there but it does. Kind of like the 7.48 gallons per cubic foot thing... That little fun fact has won me a lot of beers over the years.

Have one more re-torque of the head to do before I put the tin back on. Put the hood on but need to have the flywheel exposed to re-check the rockers after the last re-torque.

Here's a shot with most everything on.

Attachment 393

Crap... my weight is off now by the weight of the flywheel cover.

Looking good... 19,000+ #'s that's heavy...