Thread: Need a little help on power supply and equipment power requirement

Associate Engineer

Need a little help on power supply and equipment power requirement

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I really wish I can use some help and guidance from experts in this forum.

I worked as a trainee in a factory and recently the factory wants to retrofit another piece of equipment for processing its waste product. Here the power supply is 415V, 50Hz and 3 phases. We are interested in buying this particular equipment from oversea, which has different power requirement of 380V, 50Hz and 3 phases.

So my question is can this piece of equipment work if it is to be connected to this factory? I am not familiar with electrical field but I would like to make a bold speculation regardless.

Here is my speculation. The equipment can still run but heating in the wire and circuit board will occur. I think this is because the supplied voltage is higher than required voltage and the excess voltage is gone wasted, turning into heat. Over the time, this can cause failure due to creep and corrosion.

I really hope someone can kindly assist me on this matter. I just want to know some background knowledge on this before and will use your advises as reference. By the way, sorry for my bad English if it is hard to read.

Thank you.

can this piece of equipment work if it is to be connected to this factory?
    Probably not... I would engage the equipment manufacturer and request a specifications document as well as ask the support engineering for guidance.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I have contacted the manufacturer and he ensured me that it is not a problem. They will supply us the equipment based on 415v, 50Hz and 3ph. So the problem is more or less solved now.