Thread: SAP2000 general confusion

Associate Engineer

SAP2000 general confusion

Q1>i have a slab supported on perimeter beams.how does SAP transfer the self weight of the slab to the beam?what can i do to ensure one way or two way action??

Q2>next i have a floor with 4 panels,each panel is supported on two sides by main beams and two sides by secondary beams;the floor is supported on four columns at the corners and one at the center.in this case how is the load from the slabs transferd to the columns?

Welcome to EE!

The following link is a basic SAP2000 tutorial for civil engineering...

SAP2000 Basic Introduction for Beam

Associate Engineer
    the video is good ,but it dosent really answer my questions;thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ash11235 View Post
    Q1>i have a slab supported on perimeter beams.how does SAP transfer the self weight of the slab to the beam?what can i do to ensure one way or two way action??
    Try modeling as a membrane for a one way slab and as a shell for two way? This seems to have been successful for others.

Quote Originally Posted by ash11235 View Post
    Q2>next i have a floor with 4 panels,each panel is supported on two sides by main beams and two sides by secondary beams;the floor is supported on four columns at the corners and one at the center.in this case how is the load from the slabs transferd to the columns?
    Not really sure I understand where you're coming from with this. It sounds like something that could be solved with a FBD. Have I lost the plot?