Thread: Why do Good Employees Leave?

Why do Good Employees Leave?

This is interesting - comments?

why-employees-leave.jpg

Interesting findings. Bad/ineffective management can certainly make the working day seem like a nightmare.

Thankfully I've only worked under one bad manager so far. His inability to manage deadlines and work load allocation made me quite angry because it was then left to the design team to get the work out in short order. Trouble was, every time we succeeded, it covered his inabilities. He wasn't even a particularly good engineer and we all cringed when he got promoted.

Good employees need good employers. And there is only one main face any employee sees as the face of his employer, that is his or her direct supervisor.

Well, it’s been over a decade since I left my last corporate employer so here it goes.

I maneuvered to leave my last employer not because of my immediate supervisor performance but for the lack of opportunity in the foreseen-able future. I think that management did not have a vision for organizational growth but was rather focused on politics, personal growth, college degrees attained and ultimately entrenchment. The best performing employees did not rise as one would expect nor was opportunity or position advancement presented to those whom deserved it most. Moreover the compensation strategy did not make take into account the challenging nature of the perspective job responsibilities, contribution or industry challenges but was rather focused on an unaccountable industry averaging scheme.

In engineering the key contributors within the organization had endure many supervisors in many forms. Many of these supervisors are implicit and they may have roles such as; program (project) managers, engineering managers, collaborative team members and others whom could provide “one-way” performance feedback. This “one-way” performance feedback was often utilized by poor performers to bolster the reviewers inability to contribute to the teams efforts.

It is unfortunate that opportunity, recognition and personal growth was not measured in contribution or potential that would be in the interest of the corporation’s growth and competitive posture.

Don’t ask where I worked...
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 01-17-2015 at 07:36 AM.