Thread: Ring gear with both internal and external teeth

Ring gear with both internal and external teeth

In a hybrid transmission, there is an epicyclic gearbox. An input to the sun gear is given from the internal combustion engine, and another input to the ring gear is given from a DC motor. The output is taken from the planetary carrier. I have confusions as to how the input from the motor is to be given through the ring gear.

Is it possible to have a ring gear with both internal and external teeth, with the internal teeth meshing with the planetary gears, and the external teeth meshing with a reduction gear from the motor input?

If that is not possible, what could be an alternative way of giving the motor input through the ring gear?

Project Engineer
    The ring gear could have outside teeth too but I would recommend simply adding another ring with outside teeth or timing belt pulley to the ring gear and then to the motor. you could then use the DC motor to generate electricity when the ICE motor is running it through the sun and planets. the DC motor probably doesn't need a reducer on it if you size the pulleys right

Quote Originally Posted by csiddharthn View Post
    In a hybrid transmission, there is an epicyclic gearbox. An input to the sun gear is given from the internal combustion engine, and another input to the ring gear is given from a DC motor. The output is taken from the planetary carrier. I have confusions as to how the input from the motor is to be given through the ring gear.

Is it possible to have a ring gear with both internal and external teeth, with the internal teeth meshing with the planetary gears, and the external teeth meshing with a reduction gear from the motor input?

If that is not possible, what could be an alternative way of giving the motor input through the ring gear?