Thread: Motor Drivers

Associate Engineer

Post Motor Drivers

I would like to Drive a 1/8HP reversible DC motor from an arduino uno(TTL). I built a prototype using smaller motors by using a TI 754410 amplifier, but the larger motor will require 8-15 amps and 12-36 V. Are solenoids the only way? There must be a better way.

So, you're looking for an discrete electronic device than can handle 8 - 15 amps or 96 - 540 watts?

I would look at electric golf cart motors and the controllers that are used with these motors. In general though, I would say that you will need a solenoid to isolate the electric motor from your electrical power source.

Search for "Electric Golf Cart Schematic" and look at the various designs.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks, I'll investigate some of the parts mentioned.

Senior Engineer
    Don't mess with golf cart stuff, it is way way to big. 1/8 hp is only about 93 watts. Do a google search for arduino uno motor driver and you will get a huge selection.

AceEngineer

Associate Engineer
    Solenoids must be the only way to solve the problem

ADRIAN
    Hi i am new to this thread and urgently seeking help. I am building a line following robot using LDRs as my sensors. Also i am using an LM324 op amp IC and L293d motor driver IC to drive two dc motors. I am using two 10k pots to adjust sensitivity. Problem is i can only get one sensor to work. Somehow one pot is affecting both sensors. All wiring is correct and circuit worked fine on bread board. It is now on vero board. Besides cold joints and bad soldering, what can the problem be? Can a low input voltage cause this? If i cannot correct the problem i will put sensors on different boards but i dont see why i should have to do that. Any help will be appretiated. It is for my final project, will allow me to qualify!!

All wiring is correct and circuit worked fine on bread board.

Then it should work on the
    vero board. Go back and do a connection-to-connection check on the board..

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN View Post
    Hi i am new to this thread and urgently seeking help. I am building a line following robot using LDRs as my sensors. Also i am using an LM324 op amp IC and L293d motor driver IC to drive two dc motors. I am using two 10k pots to adjust sensitivity. Problem is i can only get one sensor to work. Somehow one pot is affecting both sensors. All wiring is correct and circuit worked fine on bread board. It is now on vero board. Besides cold joints and bad soldering, what can the problem be? Can a low input voltage cause this? If i cannot correct the problem i will put sensors on different boards but i dont see why i should have to do that. Any help will be appretiated. It is for my final project, will allow me to qualify!!

Check you input voltages to the IC, it will only enable if high. If they are both measuring high, it could just be a bad or poorly programmed chip. It happens.