Thread: Homework

Associate Engineer

Homework

Sports Wireless Technology

DETAILS
    A wireless three-dimensional target is on the playing field. A player kicks a ball at the target.

OPERATION
    When the ball contacts the wireless target the target logs a score. The score is wirelessly communicated to an electronic scoreboard.

QUESTIONS
    1. What wireless technology will log a point only when the ball contacts the target. (If a foot, and not the ball, contacts the target it does not score a point).

Thanks

Home Work

No homework allowed.

And that goes double when you have shown no attempt at a solution.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for your moderation.

I have researched RFID, accelerometers, near field communication, magnetic paint, Bluetooth and arduino. The complexity of this application is equipping the target to differentiate between contact by a ball and contact by a foot. It's been very challenging for me; especially since I am not an engineer by trade. Thanks for any insights you may wish to share.

Like many of life's challenges, the answer is in how the question is phrased. I think the key word is "contact". They did not say "impact". Hmm...

Lead Engineer
    I think you have already identified a potential solution on your list of possibilities. What actually defines the target for the soccer ball and is actual "contact" is necessary to define the balls entry into the goal?