Thread: CAD Recommendations for process piping design

Craig H

CAD Recommendations for process piping design

I've just started a new job as a engineer/project manager at a small natural gas compression/processing company. One of my first tasks to modernize our engineering and documentation, currently all done by hand, first on paper then manually in AutoCAD LT.

My experience has been mostly mechanical design using Solidworks and AutoCAD. At the new job I will be designing everything from small skids to process facilities. Currently I'm leaning towards Autodesk Plant Design Suite or CADWorx.

My feeling is that CADWorx might have greater functionality but I'm not liking that have to buy it plus AutoCAD. Any recommendations one way or the other? Or recommendations of threads to read through, most of what I've found seems dated.

Thanks,

Craig

I have never used either. I suspect both are good software package for facilities layout however one can such layouts in any 2D or 3D CAD software.

I would determine which package has the most users as well as easiest to learn and use.

Associate Engineer
    However your post has been posted some time ago, would I like to make you aware of SolidPlant. You describe that you have experience in SolidWorks, and SolidPlant is an piping/plant design add-in for SolidWorks.
    Maybe this helps you out!

kindest regards

Associate Engineer
    I'm also working for a small CNG compression equipment company. We are currently using Solidworks Routing. I am not completely satisfied. Has anyone actually used SolidPlant? Our SW reseller doesn't seem to know anything about it, can't even see a demo. Is there a better option? We are more than willing to change platforms if that's what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Propsoto View Post
    Has anyone actually used SolidPlant?
    Ask for a full demonstration as well as trial test period of the software. Nobody will know your applications or environment better than you..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.