Thread: Griswold pump impeller damage.

Associate Engineer

Griswold pump impeller damage.

Good day, I need a bit of assistance in determing why the impeller of the pump came into contact with the volute casing (front end) and caused damge to both the impeller and casing. The pump is currently reassembled with the impeller still in contact with the front casing . From disassembly and and inspections conducted, all other parts seem normal, shaft and bearings rotate freely, the shaft seems to be intact. i have a couple of pictures of the damge done. can anyone provide any assistance. the model of the pump is 811L 3x1.5 -13 A20 (griswold). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. if any more information is needed please do enquire, i would gladly assist.

_MG_0715 (640x427).jpgCasing.jpgImpeller.jpg _MG_0702 (640x427).jpg_MG_0701 (640x427).jpg

On these type impeller pumps a critical performance dimension is the gap between impeller and the housing. Some designs require a shimming procedure and other designs provide set screws or other means to set that gap. I think the Griswold pump you are showing us did not have the impeller clearance gap set properly.

See the following video:

How to Set the Impeller Clearance on a Giswold Pump
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-07-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Associate Engineer
    thank you Kelly for your input, i will pass on this info to my superiors, if you have any other information please do share. Thank you again, it is much appreciated.