Thread: What gauge steel sheet can I use as a floor to support foot traffic?

Associate Engineer

What gauge steel sheet can I use as a floor to support foot traffic?

Hello,

I am working on a project and am looking for some advice on the thickness of steel sheet to use.
    The design calls to build a structure framed with wood and a roof of hot rolled steel sheet that will support a live load of at least 40 psf. This will be a deck for people to stand on. This is a Noncommercial application.

The structure is to be 12’ wide by 20’ long. The steel sheet will lie on 12’ 2x8 wood joists placed on 16” centers and will be painted with a nonskid coating. The steel sheet will be fastened to the joists to keep it in place. The wood framing is not the concern but I was trying to find the lightest gauge steel sheet I can use. I was planning on 11 GA but was wondering if I could go thinner. The entire structure is on a floating platform so I want to add the least amount of weight as possible. I expect if I go too thin the steel will sag between the joists. A minimal amount of sag over time is acceptable.

I don’t have any experience of using steel sheet as flooring. I know the easy response is to say hire an engineer but I was hopeful someone could provide any advice or recourses I can use.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-14-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Grammer

Lead Engineer
    Using simple flat sheet metal is never a good choice because of its trampoline effect due to lack stiffness. For some better choices and references, goggle "walkway tread plates" and you will see a number of available options and suppliers that you contact for recommendations.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks you.
    The suggestion got me to what I was looking for.
    I can’t upload attachments so here is the link:

carbon-plate.png

I am going to go with Aluminum.

Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 03-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.