Thread: How to Filter Wireless Inputs

Associate Engineer

How to Filter Wireless Inputs

I have researched RFID, accelerometers, near field communication, magnetic paint, Bluetooth and arduino in an attempt to find a solution for this application.

The application incorporates three componenets: ball, solid three-dimensional target and electronic scoreboard. These three items makeup a game.

The game's object is to score a point. A point is scored when the ball is kicked and contacts the target. The point is then wirelessly communicated to the nearby scoreboard.

The problem is designing the components so a point is not logged when the target is contacted by a persons foot and not the ball.

It's making me crazy.

Lead Engineer
    I believe you raised this question before in a slightly different form. As it appears to be for soccer or "football" in international terms. My question is: does it need to be a "solid" target? In soccer the score actually occurs when the ball passes through the front rectangular portal formed by the front frame of the goal and the ground. It seems to me that your problem could be addressed by using am RFID card equipped ball and goal frame sensor with a shallow net to catch the entering ball.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks again for your time and insights. Yes, it does need to be a solid target. A pass-through "frame" will not work.

Do you think an RFID in both the target and ball would work if the data is compared. The problem I see is that a foot could could be in contact with both the ball and target while the ball itself is not in contact with the target.