Thread: Is it possible to recycle vehicle emissions in order to generate electricity?

ole

Is it possible to recycle vehicle emissions in order to generate electricity?

Hello everyone

I’ve been doing some research and thinking recently into how vehicle emissions might be used to generate electricity in order to power the vehicle itself. I’ve seen a few products and research projects centred on this topic, although they all seem to be focused on converting the heat in the exhaust into potential energy.

Would it be possible to use a vehicle’s emissions and force them through piping with large numbers of small generators, effectively creating a wind-farm within your own car. I respect it would take thousands if not millions of tiny wind turbines to complete this, but I’d really appreciate some help with regards to the equations and formulas of wind to potential energy conversion.

Could such a system be suspended using a helium balloon to lessen the weight exerted on the car?

If you had enough turbines could you simply use a very small amount of wind (vehicle emissions) in order to the supply the system?

Thanks

iphone 6 reviews , galaxy s5 forum
    Last edited by ole; 04-07-2014 at 02:14 PM.

rbkelley89@gmail.com
    i've been thinking about this same issue as to generating electricity or power in a vehicle just by using the air friction forced upon it by the increase in the vehicles velocity. I was thinking about designing the vehicle so that the front captures the air and channels it into a funnel such as your describing and turns the turbines. So in theory the faster you go the more energy is produced, but with a very efficient turbine i think it would work out great. What do wind turbings turn at? i believe they only require about 5mph wind and they really start generating at around 10-20 mph range

Senior Engineer
    Any energy captured utilizing the motion of the moving air will add directly to the drag, if your system is 100% efficient (not likely). The drag will add to the engine load at least the amount of energy you generate with any inefficiencies only increasing the amount. Nothing is free.

Timelord