Thread: Aluminum square tubing vs Steel

Guy

Aluminum square tubing vs Steel

I am modifying a small trailer to use for my 19 foot kayak. I need to replace the tow bar (bar from trailer to hitch) with one 10' long so my kayak will fit. I have two options locally (can't ship anything due to ridiculous costs for a 10' piece). Option 1 is Al (6061) 2.5" square tube with .125 thickness. Option 2 is same thing but in steel. I need to use 2.5" square tube due to bolting pattern on trailer and hitch size. I'd like to go with .250 thickness for the Al but it's not available. I like option 1 because it is a lot lighter, easier to drill and won't require paint. However, I am a little concerned with the overall deflection. There really won't be any weight on the tow bar as the trailer supports the boat. Although I have to figure a 10' piece will bounce quite a bit going down the road. I checked some load calculators on-line and feel the Al will work but it's a guess to me as to how much weight would be on the bar due to just bouncing (the bar weighs 16 lbs). Thought it may be best to get another opinion. I don't think the steel would be an issue but I'd prefer Al if it will work.

Thanks for your support

I would go with the same material that the trailer is made of... Keep it simple.