Thread: Design Programs

Associate Engineer

Design Programs

During my time at University I have used two design programs for several engineering projects:

- Autodesk Inventor
    - Solidworks

Inventor for the first two years and then the university switched to solidworks (not sure of the
    reason)

- - -

I found both to have a fairly similar interface but I have aspirations to be a design engineer and wondered which
    one is the more frequently used?

Engineer
    My university dropped its Inventor licenses and were working to drop their ProE as well. The other coursework I had used CATIA which was sponsored by Boeing. (I assume it is big in the Aerospace industry). I now used Solid Edge at my current company. I do not believe it is near equivalent to Solidworks or Inventor.
    Regardless.. almost every program that I have used has similar functionality.

Associate Engineer
    Danus91, I think you should choose Solidworks. Personally I find it really great and with more advanced features. I have been using it for the last 4 years.

Associate Engineer
    Solidworks seems to be accepted by most small companies.. It is my software of choice.

The short answer is you should be as diversified in as many CAD platforms as possible to further your career.

Associate Engineer
    Solidworks of course. get to be familiar with what you are using in current company(maybe future), that is enough. I once tried quite many CAD softwares, but now I think I wasted a lot of time on them.

Associate Engineer
    One more vote for SW. It has become the standard where I'm from. Much better then inventor IMO. Configurations and isolate components are key features. The only thing solidworks doesn't seem to excel at is surface modelling.

Associate Engineer
    I started using solid works before Inventor was even thought of. Inventor has to many canned routines like Solid Edge that tie your hands. Solid Works gives me much much more freedom to design especially in top down and in context.

Associate Engineer
    I am partial to NX software. Generally used by GM, WEIR, and a few others. It is pretty expensive, but it does all the things that need doing including complex surfacing.

Recently I have changed job, and it seems that Solidworks has a strong hold on the industry with a reasonably priced software that small to md sized companies have really taken to. I have been using it now for around a year, and while not as diverse a NX, it is really functionally close. Enough so to probably make it the best choice in terms of software that will be more transferable from job t job.

Associate Engineer
    Solidworks seems to be accepted by most small companies.. It is my software of choice

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by dishatiwari92 View Post
    Solidworks seems to be accepted by most small companies.. It is my software of choice
    dishatiwari92 is right. Most of the small and medium-size companies across the US and Canada are using SolidWorks.
    My personal preference is Solid Edge. But it is not so popular and hard to learn.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 10-03-2015 at 08:31 AM.