Thread: 6061 Aluminum Utility Trailer

JGBarry

6061 Aluminum Utility Trailer

Looking into designing a trailer to suit my need. Really like the idea of using 6061 Aluminum, but have heard that 5000 series is the way to go. The reason behind that would be that the 6061 can not handle the abuse of the road when not loaded (i.e. suspension is not really in effect). Does this boil down to a design issue? What are my options here?

proposed trailer

roughly 12'x102" using (1) sprung 5000# axle

I think the answer depends on how you plan to build the trailer. Forming, welding, bolting or some combination. Strength is doable for both materials assuming you properly design structurally

5052 is s not heat-treatable, but is stronger than most of the 5xxx series of alloys. It has very good corrosion resistance, and can be easily welded. 5052 is not a good choice for extensive machining operations, as it has only a fair machinability rating.

5052-H32 Aluminum
    Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 33,000
    Yield Strength, psi 28,000
    Brinell Hardness 60

6061 Aluminum is, by most any measure, the most commonly used aluminum alloy. It is specified in most any application due to its strength, heat treatability, comparatively easy machining, and weldability. If that were not enough, it is also capable of being anodized, adding a layer of protection for finished parts.The main alloy ingredients of 6061 aluminum are magnesium and silicon.

6061-T6 Aluminum
    Physical and Mechanical Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 45,000
    Yield Strength, psi 40,000
    Brinell Hardness 95
    Rockwell Hardness B60

In aircraft 2024-T3 is used in structural application where tension is known to be the principal loading configuration. 7075 selected temper is used in the primary structural members.