Thread: Hole positions with different tolerances that are in the same line?

Associate Engineer

Hole positions with different tolerances that are in the same line?

I have often wonder what the correct way to dimension this is. As seen below, the holes on either side of the red circled holes are standard threaded holes which I typically tolerance at +-.005". The two holes that are circled are dowel pin holes which I typically tolerance at +-.0005" with respect to each other. What is the best way to differentiate between the two?

Capture_zps7a0f2526.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-09-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Attach picture directly

Technically, showing the internal threaded features major diameter as a hidden line and the thru holes with a singular solid line is enough and correct.

However, one could clarify the thru holes by labeling each hole with a letter identifier - perhaps "H". Then within a delta or flag note associated with the feature of size dimension and tolerance indicate that tolerance only applies to features identified as "H".

Most correctly, the number of places that the dimensions lines apply should be indicated...

Associate Engineer
    I appologize, I can see now I wasn't very clear in my question.
    I'm looking for the proper way to dimension the location of each hole, not their sizes. i.e. For the distance between threaded or clearance holes +-.005" is alright but wouldn't be acceptable for the dowel holes. The problem is that they are all the same distance from the origin (as seen above). So what is the proper way to tolerance the dowel hole locations differently than the threaded hole locations?

This is a classic example of where applying GD&T would be helpful.

See: Dowel Pin Installation Design