Thread: What type of pump is this?

Associate Engineer

What type of pump is this?

Hi,

I'm not an engineer, but I'm designing something for an art exhibit, and I need to buy a certain type of pump, but I'm not sure what it would be called. I need a pump that sucks air in like a vacuum cleaner, and then blows air out like a leaf blower. It does this back and forth, suck in, blow out, suck in, blow out, etc, like a person breathing, or a respirator.

More specifically:

• I need to displace about 1 or 2 liters of air
    • I need to be able to adjust the rate of the in/out cycles on-the-fly from about 60 cycles per minute to 120-160 cycles per minute (120 would be adequet, 160 would be better), preferably with a dial/dimmer switch.
    • I need it to be relatively quiet. It's going to be used in an art gallery so it can't sound like, say, an air brush compressor. The quieter the better.
    • This last one I'm not sure how to express correctly. The "torque" or amount or pressure (i.e. the force with which it inhales/exhales) should probably be at least 5 pounds, I think. I'm not really sure about it, but that seems about right, the way I'm visualizing it in my head.
    • Hopefully something I can buy for $200-$300. Doesn't have to be high quality. We're only going to use it for about 2 or 3 hours.

Don't know if there's anything out there that meets those criteria, but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. There are all these websites with pumps, but I just can't seem to find one that pumps in and out like a person breathing.

Thanks!

Sounds like a "bellows pump", though there are alternate technologies that can accomplish the same task.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks, Kelly. I would definitely be open to other technologies. What did you have in mind?