Thread: Design Review / Verification Processes

Associate Engineer

Question Design Review / Verification Processes

I am currently putting together ideas for a Review/Verification Guideline to assist new engineers with developing their own process and assist more experienced engineers with improving their process. Below is the context of what type of input I am looking for:

The intention is:
    1. Suggestions on the techniques or the “How To” used by the reviewers/verifiers of design products - This is what you do when verifying/reviewing a document to markup and keep track of your review (a.k.a. highlighting, redlining, comments, check-marks, etc.).
    2. Limited to methods used for drawings, calculations, reports, and technical specs.
    3. An opportunity for you to contribute and improve engineering design verification by participating in this forum.

The intention is not:
    1. High level concepts or methods (e.g. peer review, independent verification, etc.)
    2. A set of requirements that must be followed when performing verification.
    3. A verification or design checklist of information that should be checked in a design document - such as inputs/outputs, standards, dimensions, document numbers, etc.

Example: Drawing Verification – Highlight Method
    • Make a copy of the drawing to be verified.
    • Highlight each element of the drawing copy as it is verified.
    • Provide specific written comments on the drawing copy.
    • Highlight each comment or unverified element of the drawing as it is incorporated or a disposition is accepted.
    • The review/verification of drawing is considered complete once all drawing elements and comments have been highlighted.

I look forward to any insight that can be shared.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-16-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Remove external images

This has been discussed many times before...

see:

Engineering Drawing Reviews

3D Visualization and Mark-up

MIL-DTL-31000 D -->mil-dtl-31000.pdf

You might search forums as well.

Associate Engineer

Beating a Dead Horse Move Beyond Drawings

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    This has been discussed many times before...
    I agree this has been done many times before, but from what I found in the forum, the focus has been on drawings.

Any specific techniques for calculations and textual design design documents?

Beating a Dead Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Gus83 View Post
    I agree this has been done many times before, but from what I found in the forum, the focus has been on drawings.

Any specific techniques for calculations and textual design design documents?
    Methods and processes are the same.. Peer or expert review is industry standard. I would even argue that in most cases the density of details on an engineering drawing exceeds textual design documents.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.