Thread: Diesel Engine Retrofit

Associate Engineer

Diesel Engine Retrofit

Hi all,

I am retrofitting a 1980 Jeep Cherokee Chief with an OM 603 Mercedes Diesel Engine. I changed the angle of the radiator by approximately 8 degrees and need to find out how this effects it. The radiator appears to be working properly, however this is for a Capstone project and this needs to be defended. My original concept is to do a cross flow type analysis, but am not sure how to approach this. Any help or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    I changed the angle of the radiator by approximately 8 degrees and need to find out how this effects it.
    Which way? Tilting forward, rotating axially?

Got pictures?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Which way? Tilting forward, rotating axially?

Got pictures?
    I'm away from the vehicle right now, but I can post pictures later. When looking at the vehicle from the front looking rear, the axis parallel to the ground is rotated with the top of the radiator closer to the cab. I know the velocity of the wind will only be influenced by less than 1% if using cos(7.5 degrees). I am mostly concerned with fluid flow, but a heat transfer analysis is not out of the question.

Associate Engineer
    Pass the pictures i guess better you need to hire a resource for CFD analysis....