Thread: Need help in finishing up a parabolic solar hot water heater

Associate Engineer

Smile Need help in finishing up a parabolic solar hot water heater

Doesn't sound very exciting, does it? Well, this is where we are at. We are a small team trying to finish up a parabolic solar hot water heater.

It has been adapted from different ideas from the internet and as such, we have run into a couple of design snags.

Here are a couple of photos of what the problem is. We need to "replace" this long bolt with something "better" The aluminum rod needs to be about 6" from the top bar in order to be parallel to the structure that it is attached to as well as the parabolic collector.

This is the main page of our Wiki

http://www.appropedia.org/Parabolic_...t_Water_Heater

This is a link to the "previous" iteration of our solution...

http://www.appropedia.org/File:Aluminum_guide.jpg

Here is the photo for the current "solution"...

http://www.appropedia.org/File:Electronica_and_bolt.jpg

Here is the photo where the rod is connected to the motor assembly...

http://www.appropedia.org/images/thu...inum_guide.jpg

If you need more info or more pics, please indicate.

In the meantime, have a great evening!

Lead Engineer
    If you are top getr any assistance you need to bettter define what you mean as better. For example: What is the issue with the current threaded rod and what is the goal of the revised design?

Associate Engineer
    Thank you JAlberts for responding.

The threaded rod is not long enough. If i go to another, smaller diameter rod, the aluminum rod will wobble because there is like six inches between it and the electrical pipe structure. It appears as though i need some sort of "structure" against which the alum. rod can rest/swivel as the bottom part moves through the aluminum assembly which is connected to a 1/2" threaded rod. This 1/2" threaded rod is turned by our 1 amp motor which receives it's signal from the electronic sun sensors.

Hopefully this will be sufficient to better define the goal of the revised design. If not, please ask more questions.

Again, wow, someone asked a question! Have a great afternoon!

Hopefully this will be sufficient to better define the goal of the revised design. If not, please ask more questions.

Well, no you're not being clear... There is one picture with carriage bolt but no threaded rod...

If this carriage bolt was actually a "threaded Rod", then you could have a double jam or counter nut arrangement to contain a pipe through which a threaded rod passes. Equivalent to a "double stub threaded standoff" arrangement.

Counter_nut.jpg
    Jam Nut Arrangement

threaded rod.jpg
    Threaded Rod
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-20-2014 at 06:55 AM.

frazelle09,
    This is what Jalberts was talking about: I've read everything you posted and looked at all your pictures. Until I read your post above I had no idea there was any motion involved in any of the pictures. I see a carriage bolt connecting some kind of vertical bar to a horizontal run of electrical conduit. Is that carriage bolt supposed to function as a shaft? Supporting a load and rotating it? Or just supporting a rotating load while something else drives it?

You are making a very common mistake that frustrates "civilians" a lot when they try to communicate with engineers. Lack of thoroughness and clarity. We can't help it. To be of any help we must be very specific and make very few assumptions. Maybe you could explain the specific function that is supposed to be happening in the picture of the carriage bolt. What parts are moving? What parts aren't? How is it driven? How is it loaded? etc. Maybe you could post pictures of the same assembly from different angles.

Senior Engineer

My Two Cents

If I've got it right, the quickest solution is a longer piece of threaded rod. Double nuts on each side of the pivoting bar and one nut on each side of the support pipe. The exact distance from the support to the pivoting bar can be adjusted. The second nut tightened on the support pipe is important as it will take any play out of the rod. I don't see this nut in the photos. If I missed the point, more information is the answer.

Timelord

Project Engineer
    I see 3 threaded rods in your design. one is acting as a jack screw to change the angle of the square tube with your sensor on it. The other is a pivot for the same sensor arm and the third is the one connecting the actuator rig to the reflector. Which one is it that you are talking about? the 3 pictures you showed are of 2 diferent rods