Thread: Trying to cool down hot air in a small space. Need to find a compact cooler.

shawn hines

Trying to cool down hot air in a small space. Need to find a compact cooler.

Hello all! I am excited about joining the forum!

I manufacture devices for purifying air for air analysis. One of our methods is to have a precious metal catalyst heated to 290C (554F). I have built many of these devices but have never had to install them in such a small space. The only method I have used to bring down the temp of the exiting air is to make a 6" diameter coil of copper out of 8' of tubing and place it in front of a fan. I am tired of making these coils and would like a better method. I am having the hardest time finding something to fit in the space needed. I have found one thing that looked promising but it will not work. What I found was some small radiators used for PC cooling. Since these units are made for water cooling they do not have the proper fittings for air (they either have nipples or ISO G ports). Also, I dont think they would be able to handle the PSI (50). The bummer is that those radiators fit directly to a 120mm fan (which I am using). Any ideas would be tremendously helpful. I am posting a overhead view of my box so you can see the placement of everything. Also including a picture of the radiator that I am talking about. I have also looked into transmission coolers but have not found anything small enough or with proper ports (NPT).

Here are my specs:

Air temp: 290C (554F)
    Fan size 120mm (high output, aluminum frame)
    Air flow: Max 30lpm
    Air Pressure: Max 50psi (but Im sure some dummy will go higher than that)

Help a brother out please za 30 top view.jpgradiator.jpg

Lead Engineer
    Assuming it would work at 50 psig (You should contact the manufacturer) the radiator you show shopuld be a perfect selection. There are Male NPT fittings to adapt the female NPT ports on the cooler to any air fitting you might require readily available from many pipe fitting suppliers.