Thread: Mounting device for portable multi-monitor laptop workstation?

Associate Engineer

Mounting device for portable multi-monitor laptop workstation?

Hey all, this is my first post. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this. Hoping some of you engineering folks can help me with what is probably a very simple problem.

Goal: Make a portable triple-monitor workstation by mounting an Asus portable monitor on each side of my MBP.

Supplies:
    1 x 15" macbook pro retina
    2 x 15" Asus MB168B+ monitor (http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/MB168BPlus/)
    2 x 360 degree friction hinge (http://www.mcmaster.com/#friction-hinges/=s2hx6z)

Plan:
    I plan on gorilla-gluing a hinge to the appropriate edge of each asus monitor and then attaching the other end of the hinge to my computer. But I don't want to glue the other end of the hinge to my computer because I don't want a permanent solution. I want the option of removing my portable monitors for days when I only need a single screen and want to make my computer more portable.

The part I need help with is finding a component that would make my monitors detachable. I've asked major hardware manufacturer's and detachable friction hinges do not exist AFAIK.

I'm hoping some of y'all can help brainstorm something I could attach to each hinge that would make it detachable. A company called ge-chic has a solution for their portable monitors, they use something like a locking-rail. Hard to see in the pictures below but you're supposed to secure a rail device on the back of your computer and the ge-chic monitor sort of slides into the rail locking it in place. If I could find something similar and attach it to one end of my hinge and the other end to my computer I'd have a solution!

ScreenShot2014-05-21at110800PM.jpg
    ScreenShot2014-05-21at112731PM.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 05-22-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Import images into forum

Welcome to the forum!

Quick questions:-

How are you going to connect these to the Mac? The all ports for the additional screens appear to be to the LHS; meaning one screen will have all it's ports smack-bang against the Mac.

Are the hinges just to allow viewing angle adjustment? Folding this assembly for transport will be an issue as the additional monitors are going to want to be seated in the same plane.

Another option would be to construct a mounting frame that "clip" to your laptop (or your laptop could be seated in). This could be easier in terms of folding for portability and, it wouldn't stress the casing as much as attaching hinges would.

Nice project though.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    How are you going to connect these to the Mac? The all ports for the additional screens appear to be to the LHS; meaning one screen will have all it's ports smack-bang against the Mac.
    Yes, you're correct in that the right monitor may have its port smack-bang against the mac. I'm hoping that with the hinge turning each monitor at a slight inwards angle towards the center of the laptop, the port will be clear and will not jut against the computer.

Are the hinges just to allow viewing angle adjustment? Folding this assembly for transport will be an issue as the additional monitors are going to want to be seated in the same plane.
    The hinges are primarily for viewing angle adjustment but I also plan on using the assembly for transport. You are correct in that the 3rd monitor will have trouble folding back against the laptop since it will want to be in the same plane as the 2nd monitor. I haven't thought of a solution for this but having the ability to quickly detach the asus monitors will provide a work-around. I can fold the 2nd monitor against the backside of my laptop monitor and just remove the 3rd monitor (most likely the right monitor since the ports are on the left side of the monitor and folding the monitor back may cause problems).

Another option would be to construct a mounting frame that "clip" to your laptop (or your laptop could be seated in). This could be easier in terms of folding for portability and, it wouldn't stress the casing as much as attaching hinges would.
    Do you have any idea of what such a mounting frame and clip would look like? Preferably something that doesn't have to be custom made. Sounds like a great idea.

Nice project though.
    Thanks!

Personally, I'd look at something desk mounted to keep the stresses from the 2 cantilevers off the Mac casing, and can be adapted from existing stuff on the market.

Let me have a think about a screen/case mounted frame and I'll see if I can sketch you something up. It will need to be custom built though.

Associate Engineer
    Hmmm, haven't thought of trying to adapt a desk-mounted solution to my laptop. I'll do some research.

As far as sketching me up something, I greatly appreciate the offer but I'm not sure I have the time or money to try and get a manufacturer to produce a custom frame for me. So don't feel compelled to sketch one up, I don't want to waste your time.

I'll continue to rack my noggin to see what existing mounts/hardware can be adapted to my project. Thanks for your input again.

No worries.

Keep us updated with how it works out.

Associate Engineer
    will do!

Associate Engineer
    I agree you better make up a frame
    a quick ideatruc.jpg
    you can adjust the gap between your hinges so you get clearance for your cables
    You are going to need some sort of feet as well you can add two more small flaps at either ends on hinges as well
    use wood or best aluminum sheet folded for the resting part of you screen glue the hinges with sikaflex and some thin carpet on the plates
    but think it through two screen on hinges on each side of your macbook its like dumbo in the wind.

Associate Engineer
    ps aluminium sheet is quite cheap and it is a very quick job for a boilermaker joint to cut it and fold it to size 30mn max

Associate Engineer
    Sorry for the late reply, just seeing this now. Thanks for your suggestion, I'm waiting for Apple to update their 15" retina line and I'll post updates. Thanks!

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ginjko View Post
    I agree you better make up a frame
    a quick ideatruc.jpg
    you can adjust the gap between your hinges so you get clearance for your cables
    You are going to need some sort of feet as well you can add two more small flaps at either ends on hinges as well
    use wood or best aluminum sheet folded for the resting part of you screen glue the hinges with sikaflex and some thin carpet on the plates
    but think it through two screen on hinges on each side of your macbook its like dumbo in the wind.
    Ginjko, I want to be able to mount this frame to the backside of my laptop screen. Based on your design, how would I fold both screens inward for transport? The side that folds onto the backside of the laptop screen is fine, but the opposite side won't be able to fold inwards b/c the mount is attached to the laptop.

Or does your suggestion not involve mounting the frame to the laptop and instead carrying it as a separate entity?

Have you searched the internet for "multi-screen portable computer"? There are designs already in production - you might check them out for ideals.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Have you searched the internet for "multi-screen portable computer"? There are designs already in production - you might check them out for ideals.
    Extensively, there is nothing that I've found in the works for Mac and the ones that exist for PC are on the heavy, non-portable side. If you know of any for mac I'd be happy to check them out.

Project Engineer
    Have you thought of using a 'loose pin hinge'?
    We use those in theater all the time for just this type of situation.
    Google it.