Thread: Stirrup Bearing Replacement Required?

Horizons1

Stirrup Bearing Replacement Required?

Hello,

I am an engineering student with a question about bridge design. We are learning about proper bridge repairs. One situation the teacher expressed is having to fix support issues. In the situation we are learning about is a stirrup support bearing issue.

Situation: The casting in the middle of the bearing has deteriorated, and is there any way this material can be salvaged or resurfaced (pits being filled with material) or should it be replaced?

Thanks!

stirrup support bearing
    Searching the internet - there is such thing as a

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons1 View Post
    Situation: The casting in the middle of the bearing has deteriorated, and is there any way this material can be salvaged or resurfaced (pits being filled with material) or should it be replaced?

Anyway, without a picture or other I would guess knowledge (me) that the replacement or repair would depend on access-ability for repair or replacement, bridge codes and engineering requirements. I estimate that any replacement or repair would require some sort of engineering approval and qualification.

For modern bridges, I'll bet there are trace-ability requirements for all of the materials used in the construction.