Thread: Worm meshing with a spur gear

Associate Engineer

Worm meshing with a spur gear

My textbook says that a low cost method of creating a wormgear set is to use a worm with a spur gear. However, it doesn't say how to do this. I'm assuming it must have the same pitch but other than that, I'm not sure. Dutton-Lainson makes a worm gear winch which looks like it uses this concept (see the 2nd image and the dimensional drawing: but I noticed that the worm is at an angle...not sure if this helps the two mesh?

11011_addl_1.jpg

DD_WG1500HEX.PDF

Can anyone please help?
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 06-01-2014 at 08:15 AM.

low cost method of creating a wormgear set is to use a worm with a spur gear
    Worm gear/spur gear as opposed to what gear arrangement?

My textbook

What is the name of the textbook? ISBN?

Associate Engineer
    Textbook: Machine Elements in Mechanical Design 4th ed. by Robert Mott, ISBN: 0-13-061885-3
    Section 8-9 explains 3 types of wormgear drives: 1.) cylindrical worm with throated wormgear 2.) special cylindrical worm with standard spur or helical gear 3.) hourglass worm with enveloping-type worm gear.

Seems like the standard arrangement is cylindrical worm with throated wormgear, however, it will be cheaper to buy a standard spur gear if I could figure out what geometry I need to match.

Any ideas as to why the link I attached in my initial post has the worm at an angle?

The worm is at an angle so that its teeth mesh with the spur gear teeth. Its teeth are in the form of a screw helix. You are seeing the back side of the screw form in your PDF view. The main difference between a worm gear and a spur gear is that worm gear teeth are cut at an angle to match the helix angle of the worm. This arrangement accomplishes a similar effect by just mounting the worm and the spur at an angle to each other.