Thread: Impernation process for Aluminum Castings

Associate Engineer

Bang Head Impregnation process for Aluminum Castings

I have been looking for information on impregnation processes. Does the process add material to machined areas if the process is done after machining? If it does how much allowance should I include for the process?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Tammy C; 06-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.

I suspect you are referring to impregnation to control porosity issues in castings... I do not believe the impregnation processes used on castings is additive.

Would you please clarify what process and materials you are referring to?

Associate Engineer
    The print calls for Impregnation with an anaerobic thermoset polyster resin with a vacuum method to be used. I am having problems with threads. After the process the thread gauges are binding. With black light inspection there does not appear to be any build up. I cannot find anything for thread allowance to cut the threads before the process. I am not familiar with the process and the print specifies inpreg to be done after machining. I was told there is not any build up because of the rinse process. The threads were fine before the process. I need to know how much to compensate to cut the thread

Well, my best suggestion is to measure and document the threads pre and post impregnation process on a test coupon. With this data you should be able to modify the threads as required to accommodate the apparent impregnation buildup.

I do think that you should task the folks that are processing the “anaerobic thermoset polyster resin with a vacuum method” with what could be the root cause of the thread gauge binding.