Thread: Snap Ring Failure

Snap Ring Failure

Good day to All, are you have experience on snap ring failure? Ok, I have a knuckle that I need to press fit with the bearing. And the bearing and the knuckle doesn't have any problem. after that, I put a snap ring above the bearing to avoid it from pull out. ands I use the same press machine. design as per attached. and the problem is the snap ring wont spring back after shrinkage. 1) since the traveling distance of snap ring is 30mm, it is have a problem with that? I mean, snap ring cant spring back because it already shrinkage in long distance? 2) maker use laser cut machine to make a snap ring instead of stamping. it is have problem with that? 3) hardness is HRC40, but I already check its not a problem with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and the problem is the snap ring wont spring back after shrinkage.

Sounds like the snap ring is yielding during compression. I would check the snap ring groove and the installation diameter bore for proper design.

The material hardness given is interesting however inconclusive information. What is the base material of the snap ring ring?

See:

ANSI Hardware design Data

Look for "Internal Retaining Snap Ring ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post

Sounds like the snap ring is yielding during compression.