Thread: Need help figuring out NPT thread fit dimensions

Associate Engineer

Need help figuring out NPT thread fit dimensions

Hey all, I am currently designing some plugs that will seat into npt threads. I have the machinery handbook and it is not giving me what seems to me the correct dimensions for a plug to seat into a female npt pipe and seal and protect the threads. What dimension should I use from the handbook or does anyone know this type of information? Thanks.

ot giving me what senms to me the correct dimensions for a plug to seat into a female npt pipe and seal and protect the threads.

Because, why, and what happened?

Associate Engineer
    For people that need to protect their threads during shipping, storage, etc. I am trying to find out what sizes can fit into the female end. Like on regular UNC threads and everything I can just take the minor diameter and use that dimension... NPT is a lot different and is quite a bit more confusing... I am just looking for the dimensions of the inside diameter of NPT that a plug can seat into under compression fit...

I would search the internet for "NPT Thread Protectors". Lots on competition out there and you can those things in bulk really cheap.

Check this company. They should be able to answer all your questions.
    http://www.caplugs.com/