Thread: Physically active engineering jobs?

sando

Physically active engineering jobs?

Hi guys,
    I just got my undergrad in mechanical engineering and have about 16 months of
    Industry experience under my belt. I am passionate about engineering but I am just as passionate about being physically active and not just sitting in front of a computer all day long. Do you guys know of any types of jobs where I can put my engineering training to use but also be physically challenged while I work? I'm not afraid of dangerous jobs or technician type jobs, as long as they pay alright. I also don't mind going back to school for a bit. Some things I have considered include underwater welding, powerline technician, clearance diver, etc. Hit me with some ideas!

The only engineering job I know that is some what physical - teaching (engineering of course).

The jobs you mention are technician jobs - not engineering. You might consider an opportunity with a small company that requires engineers to wear several hats of responsibility (performing technician tasks).

You may need need to consider a change of career vision.

In my experience, the smaller the employer, the more hats you will be expected to wear. That means that engineers get a more hands-on experience when they have to work daily with folks on the manufacturing floor, or in the machine shop, or on a job site. Typically engineers are not hired more for their brain power than for their physical abilities or skills. But in my opinion, nothing sharpens the usable skills of an engineer like direct involvement with the non-engineers who have to work with their designs.

Lead Engineer
    "Typically engineers are not hired more for their brain power than for their physical abilities or skills."

jboggs, I believe you made a bit of a typo in the above sentence. I assume you intended to say: "Typically engineers are hired more for their brain power than for their physical abilities or skills."

sando, there is a difference between physically active and "exciting" jobs. There are a number of physically active engineering opportunities in the engineering and construction industry for "on-site" construction engineers particularly in overseas construction projects.
    Another possibility you might look at (depending on how well you handle heights) is installation and maintenance for a wind turbine power manufacturing or operating company.
    As for exciting, how about a year an a half on the construction of an petroleum storage and shipping facility located on the north boundry of an african civil war zone. (That was my firstm overseas assignment as
    the onsite construction engineer in Nigeria.)

Just for the record (and humor), some engineers do the following:

• "Jump" to conclusions.
    • "Run Down" the boss.
    • "Fly" off the handle.
    • "Flog" a dead horse.
    • "Dodge" responsibility.
    • "Push" their luck
    • "Dig" a deep hole.
    • "Run" their mouth
    • Challenge the "Fitness" of an ideal.
    • "Drag" their feet.

The old fat fingers at work again! Thanks JAlberts!