Thread: DIY Reliable 1200hp eddy current DYNO

racerazor

DIY Reliable 1200hp eddy current DYNO

Hello Everyone, Ive never done this before this is my first time on any forum, so i hope that I'm in the right place. Well first off Im 25yrs old I've been rebuilding engine since i was 13 and I've been tuning for quite some time, i moved to Philippines recently from Canada for business purposes. To make things short I'm extremely bored and I'm looking for a project, I'm planning on building a dyno my Goal is to make something along the lines of of Mustang Gladiator Dyno i will list the basic specs bellow, the cost of this dyno out the door with all bells and whistles is 30,000USD, Im planning on opening a business here a nice little tuner shop, i was going to buy this particular dyno, but then i thought to myself why not try to build one i have the time, i will try to save as much cost as possible, and i wanna learn how exactly these work. Believe it or not the Philippines is great for this because labour is cheap...most materials are cheap and well these people will build just about anything, there are some great machine shops here that really do a great job and you can find just about anything you need if you know where to look. Just to give you guys an idea I did a full engine rebuild on my 2004 mazda 3 and aside from having to order the internals from the states cost me about 400$ i got the block cleaned hot tanked and honed along with having the head re-surfaced, cleaned, checked,valve stem seals replaced,single angle valve grind and to top it off port and polish had them swap the pistons off my rods and install new ones, and it only cost 50$ for all of it, plus! i gave them a 10$ tip which they were ecstatic about......now don't get me wrong you have to watch these guys as they are working, the labour is cheap but if your not around to watch their every move you will be sorry. Anyways what I'm looking for is any insight on how to do this I've been researching and well not a lot of info that i could find, i really would want to see pictures of how these dyno's are setup, what do i need in detail, what do i need to look out for, ANY INSIGHT i have the resources at my disposal, i will share all of my progress with you guys and anyone that is interested in doing this i will help with whatever i learn, i will take lots of pictures to show you guys the progress, and once its finished no matter what the outcome ill make some videos, and hey if it doesn't work sure it might of cost me some money, but the knowledge is much more valuable. I know there are people out there that want one of these but simply can't afford it. I'm good in computers, electronics and mechanics so i would love to try this but i need your guys's help. Thanks. I will be awaiting your responses. Here are the Specs of the DYNO i was looking at and i spoke with these guys directly over the phone so if you guys got any questions or need more details from me i will be checking this daily.

Gladiator Series
    Max Horsepower: 1,200 hp
    Max Absorption: 625 hp
    Loading Device: Air-cooled eddy current power absorber
    Torque Measurement Device: Strain Gauge Type Dynamic Load Cell. Provides closed loop control signal for dynamic vehicle loading.
    Inertia: 630 lbs. base
    Max Speed: 150 mph
    Controls: Closed Loop Digital Controller with WindowsXP based PowerDyne Software. Includes Patented Virtual Road Simulation Technology.
    Rolls/Wheelbase: Precision machined and dynamically balanced
    Front roll set may be grooved horizontally
    8.575” (218mm) diameter balanced rolls
    35” (889mm) face length
    30” (762mm) inner track width (Exceeds EPA/BAR Stds)
    100” (2,540mm) outer track width
    17.1” (434mm) roll spacing
    Roll Lock: Between roll lift with integrated roll lock
    Roll Decelerator: Allows vehicle deceleration without use of vehicle brakes. Eddy Current PAU used to decelerate rollers.
    Air Requirements: 80 PSI, dry, regulated, oil free
    Power Requirements: 115 VAC, single phase, 60 Hz, 15 Amps (computer)
    230 VAC, single phase, 60 Hz, 40 Amps (dynamometer)
    Axle Weight: 6,000 lbs. maximum
    Shipping Weight: 3,000 lbs. (dynamometer weight only)
    Last edited by racerazor; 07-01-2014 at 01:51 PM.

I'm looking forward to your progress pictures! Bring them on!