Thread: Medium Pressure Hose Fitting Design Control

Associate Engineer

Medium Pressure Hose Fitting Design Control

I'm looking to design a nipple shank and socket fitting that is in accordance with MIL-DTL-83798, but can't seem to find the specs to control the design.

The parts are shown in MIL-DTL-83798_3C with generic dimensions. The nipple shank is flared inside of the nipple for a "mechanical" seal. I attached a drawing to help visualize what I'm referring to.

Nipple 1.JPGNipple Shank 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpgPicture 2.jpg
    Last edited by Forza Aerospace; 07-22-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Ok, I've attached both MIL-DTL-83798-3D as well as MIL-DTL-83798 to this thread.

MIL-DTL-83798_3C.pdf
    MIL-DTL-83798D.pdf

First, If this is aerospace the standard flare chamfer for aerospace is normally 37.5 degrees. You will need to verify this.

I would continue to look within the MIL spec's for supporting documents that may include the flare are dimensional data.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 07-22-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Associate Engineer
    Kelly Bramble, thank you for your quick response. I have the actual socket dimensions, including the flare chamfer. I'm more interested in the nipple shank dimensions. Looking through the QPL's for approved MIL-DTL-83798 fittings I've found that Eaton Aeroquip has a part number 526-10D that is very similar to what I'm looking for. I'm trying to confirm that the sealing surfaces are designed correctly.
    Aeroquip 1.JPGAeroquip 2.JPG
    Last edited by Forza Aerospace; 07-22-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Ok, I've attached both MIL-DTL-83798-3D as well as MIL-DTL-83798 to this thread.

MIL-DTL-83798_3C.pdf
    MIL-DTL-83798D.pdf

First, If this is aerospace the standard flare chamfer for aerospace is normally 37.5 degrees. You will need to verify this.

I would continue to look within the MIL spec's for supporting documents that may include the flare are dimensional data.
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting 37.5 degrees? I've always used 37 degrees per MS33656, I know this has been superceded by SAE-AS4395 so has it changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Aerospace View Post
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting 37.5 degrees? I've always used 37 degrees per MS33656, I know this has been superceded by SAE-AS4395 so has it changed?
    Senior moment.... You're right, aerospace standard flare is 37 degrees.

Sorry!