Thread: Energy advice

Associate Engineer

Welcome Energy advice

Hello everybody,
    I am Victor Moussalli, 17 years old, just starting grade 12 of high school. My passion is energy efficiency. The only types of engineering that I like are: environmental, energy, and electrical. I want to know what is the best path to take; university or not, to guarantee a good job later on as many of my older buddies are now struggling to find jobs despite their engineering majors.
    Thank you,
    Victor Moussalli

Electrical. Definitely. Here's why. It's one of the basic disciplines (mechanical, civil, electrical, chemical) and has a much longer history than the others. As such it has a very wide range of "sub-disciplines", each of which come with their own job opportunities. I'll let the electrical engineers on here elaborate more. I am mechanical. For example, a good mechanical engineer is prepared to enter lots of fields: building design, power and energy generation systems, prime movers (internal combustion, turbines, steam, etc.), hydraulics and pneumatics, automation, heating and cooling systems, military systems, product design, manufacturing, mining, and on an on...

Associate Engineer
    Hello, thank you for your answer. I got your point. Do you think majoring in electrical then specializing in energy would give me a narrower chance of getting job offers?

You hit the key point. If you major in one of the basic disciplines you can choose from several different specialties. The good thing is you do not have to make any specialization decisions until you want to. You will know better then what specific fields interest you.

With all this talk of which field has better employment opportunities, remember this: Do what you love! At your point in life you don't even know for sure what that is. No worries, you have time. But when you are looking for fields with good opportunities, always keep in mind that if you don't love what you do even the most secure job in the world is torture.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for answering. Is it mandatory to specialize in something? If yes, do you think it is better even if I like the whole electrical engineering topic?

At least in the US, specialization is not mandatory. It happens as your experience accumulates. Your decisions along the way guide that experience.

Sheppie
    Go with electrical unless your heart tells you otherwise. It's like jboggs said: you must love what you do

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by energypassion97 View Post
    Thanks for answering. Is it mandatory to specialize in something? If yes, do you think it is better even if I like the whole electrical engineering topic?
    whole electrical engineering wont work take a topic and go with that improve your skill in that...