Thread: Stub shaft free floating on Key?

Associate Engineer

Stub shaft free floating on Key?

Hello,
    I've been asked to copy a shaft so we can make it ourselves. This is a 5" long adapter between a keyed 20 HP motor shaft and a splined input to a gearbox. The original shaft has no set screw or other method of securing it axially. I've never seen this before. Is it common for a shaft to float axially in service?

Project Engineer
    I've never seen it before. I wouldn't do it without having a coupling of some sort between those 2 units and a guard around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth M View Post
    Hello,
    I've been asked to copy a shaft so we can make it ourselves. This is a 5" long adapter between a keyed 20 HP motor shaft and a splined input to a gearbox. The original shaft has no set screw or other method of securing it axially. I've never seen this before. Is it common for a shaft to float axially in service?

Associate Engineer
    Thanks Glenn, It doesn't need a coupling because in effect, this shaft is a coupling. It doesn't need to flex because we will have piloted fits in the housing that bolts the motor and gearbox together and encloses this shaft. This housing will also serve as a guard. My question is specifically about the lack of setscrew or other method of securing the shafts together so they don't float axially. I've never seen a key without a set screw on it. Has anyone seen this before?