Hi
I'am a fresh graduate with a bachelors of engineering in mechanical engineering. During an interview for a job opportunity in crude oil pipeline installation, the interviewer warned me that if i got the job and entered this domain it will be really hard for me to enter another mechanical engineering domains in the future such as HVAC, manufacturing,aviation , automation etc.

I didn't choose the job opportunity because i like the domain of pipeline installation, i chose it instead because:

1-It pays good compared to other jobs, and i need that money to get a masters degree later
2-I didn't score high grades in my university, so i couldn't enter other high paying jobs that requires a high GPA such as consulting, investment, design etc.

This job opportunity i got has a bad reputation by forcing tough lives on the people working there. Its on site in the middle of the desert, i may have to stay a couple of consecutive months on the project. I don't want to spend the rest of my career on some desert isolated from civilization. I always wanted to work something related to investment, trading, management ,sales, consulting, manufacturing in any bank, corporate ,or engineering firm etc.

If i started this job in pipeline installation, how hard will it be to change my career track in the future? How much will masters degree help me with achieving this?

Thanks