Thread: Motion Sensored Treat Dispenser

Associate Engineer

surprise2 Motion Sensored Treat Dispenser

Using positive reinforcement techniques, to stop a dog from barking, you would give him a treat every time somebody passes by. In theory he will care more about the treat then then barking and eventually just pay attention to the treat and counter condition this unwanted behavior.

The problem comes when I don't have any helpers to aid in triggering this behavior, so my options are either sitting with my dog for long periods of time waiting for this unwanted behavior (and hopefully not getting distracted in the process), or build something!

My idea is to get a motion sensor hooked up to a treat dispenser. So now when somebody walks by, the motion sensor picks it up, drops a treat, dog is happy.

Knowing little about electronics, I actually create software, I found a remote controlled treat dispenser and a motion sensor that sends a radio signal. Would that work?

If not, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-15-2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Links removed...

You want a motion actuated treat dispenser? Sure the dog won't bark to get somebody to come see want's up? Also, barking dgos are the best burgler alarm ever!

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    You want a motion actuated treat dispenser? Sure the dog won't bark to get somebody to come see want's up? Also, barking dgos are the best burgler alarm ever!
    I live in an apartment, and my dog like to sit near the balcony window and when anybody walks by he barks. I'd rather not have this behavior. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by dinoblayne View Post
    when anybody walks by he barks. I'd rather not have this behavior.
    Well, good luck I think this is normal behavior though and may be tough to break.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Well, good luck I think this is normal behavior though and may be tough to break.
    I'm not asking for animal behavior advice, I'm asking for engineering advise. Thank you for your reply.

I'm not asking for animal behavior advice
    Yes you are.

Project Engineer
    re:the motion sensor, thats easy but what else it out there? Is there a tree blowing in the wind? or people playing soccer? your dog will get fat. you could put an optical sensor across the walkway as a way to limit it's sensing only to the walkway but is that something you can do ? It could just consist of a retroreflective sensor and a reflector like from a bicycle on a post outside and the sensor looks through the window at it waiting for an interruption to signal your device.

Check out the X-10 product line. Here's one of their motion sensors. It requires a transceiver to complete the signal.
    http://www.thehomeautomationstore.co...ors/ms16a.html

Associate Engineer
    I live in an apartment, and my dog like to sit near the balcony window and when anybody walks by he barks. I'd rather not have this behavior. Thanks again for the help!
    Close the drapes or put some-up. This way you're not reconditioning the dog and it won't get diabetes. Sometimes, it's easier not over-complicating things.