Thread: Improving Assembly Process

dgmnca

Improving Assembly Process

I'm a junior level Industrial Engineer working at a distribution center. This DC warehouse happens to perform small batches of part assembly. These assemblies are performed by hand, building/augmenting supplier provided manufactured parts utilizing hand tools. My question is, what are some criteria or best practices used to improve a manual non-synchronous assembly process?

I've started to implement some workplace standardization and organization with the physical layout and product flow, primarily utilizing 5S, but would be open to other suggestions from individuals with experience dealing with similar situations.

Thanks for reading!

In general you should look first at the slower task work areas. The concept behind Non-synchronous assembly is that it allows for buffering in slower task work areas, while maintaining continuous flow on the main production line.

What tasks can be re-tooled and moved into synchronous assembly manufacturing?
    Can you address or initiate component or assembly level design changes that can have positive net improvements in manufacturing costing?
    Training?
    I assume you have already completed task time studies?

Senior Engineer
    This is a great content about manufacturing?. We can also relate it with the Austempering Technology. This is a quiet fine and interesting infor. Thanks for sharing.

Associate Engineer
    I think you started with a good approach.

Senior Engineer
    Thanks for sharing such a useful info.