Thread: Mechanical engineering subdisciplines

Associate Engineer

Mechanical engineering subdisciplines

Hi all,

I just want to ask your opinion, if you have to choose between these 5 subdisciplines of mechanical engineering,

1. Automotive
    2. Energy
    3. Manufacturing
    4. Materials
    5. Deepwater Engineering
    6. Facilities and Plant Engineering

Which one would you choose and why?

Energy... More money, more opportunities and just as challenging.

Associate Engineer
    What do you think of Deepwater Engineering? It is related to oil and gas industry and definetely has more money, opportunities and challenges.

Lead Engineer
    Even if you are considering deep water engineering, I would recommend you still pursue Energy. It would give you a bit wider range of capabilities. For example, when I first entered college in 1958 I was focused on Aerospace Engineering but after two years and a bit of exposure to the aerospace industry I switched to mechanical engineeriong as my major because I discovered that with that degree I would still qualify for 95% of the aerospace jobs, if I decided to go that way; and, I could qualify for positions in a large array of other ********** as well.
    Actually, I ended up in the energy industry in a wide range specialties including oilfield rroduction equipment engineering, offshore engineering and construction and a period of consuilting on deep water pipelines. Ulitmately, I went on after that to complete my career as a new product development engineer in the ASME Section 8 pressure vessel safety relief valve industry.
    The majority of my successes came from having the knowledge base that allowed me to cross integrate technology from one industry to the next.
    Last edited by JAlberts; 08-25-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Associate Engineer
    But I heard rumour in Energy area, I would just end up working in power plant? Is this true?

What about Materials? Development of nano materials and composite looks promising as well for working.

Lead Engineer
    I think we are having a problem with what ********** an Energy program represents. In your list, are you referring to a particular universities curriculum selections or referring to the classifications in general? If you are referring to these selections in general, from my point of view, your focus should be more on selecting your basic engineering discipline between Mechanical, Electrical, etc because this have the most significant effect on the ********** that will available to you.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the response.

In the mean time, I think I would go for energy. But, I am still considering deepwater or materials though.

I don't know...

Associate Engineer
    Manufacturer Engineering, this is the BASIC of industry, just like as Chinese do in 60th.. within manufacture engineering, you can produce from screwdriver to oil Well-pump..the tools even for Energy Engineering

Sheppie
    Oh but energy of course! It can be divided into so many branches. It has a great perspective and is the best choice. Future choice.

Associate Engineer
    Automotive engineering is one of the most exciting professions you can choose. Automotive engineers work in every area of the industry, from the look and feel of current cars, to the safety and security of new forms of transport. Attempting to make cars as fast as possible whilst keeping them fuel efficient may seem like an impossible task, but this is the kind of problem automotive engineers deal with every day.

This is the best one to choose.Material engineers deal with extracting, developing, processing and testing of various materials and minerals which are used in order to produce a huge variety of consumer goods like computer chips, television sets, golf clubs and snow skis. New materials are created out of metals, ceramics, plastics, semiconductors, and combinations of materials called composites by these engineers, which are needed for mechanical, chemical and electrical **********. New materials are also chosen by these engineers for new applications and products.

All are having better scope all these branches depends upon how and what you see in that branch .