Thread: Tracking source of cyanide contamination

Tracking source of cyanide contamination

Our facility uses a production powder coating system that consists of a 3-stage wash process prior to applying and curing the powder on the substrate. Recently, during a routine check of the storage tanks for each stage of the wash, traces of cyanide beyond acceptable levels were detected. I am trying to back-track our processes to determine the origin of the cyanide contamination.

I have reviewed the MSDS sheets of all the chemicals and products we use for cleaning/treating the metal surfaces prior to paint and have not found anything that contains cyanide. So... I am now looking for other possible sources of cyanide finding its way into the wash tanks.

Here's a brief overview of the substrates we paint:

ASTM A1008 Cold rolled sheet.
    ASTM A1011 CS Hot rolled pickled & oiled sheet
    ASTM A36 angle and bar
    5052 sheet
    3003 sheet

Do any of these substrates pose the risk of cyanide contamination?

Quote Originally Posted by CCR5600Design View Post
    ASTM A1008 Cold rolled sheet.
    ASTM A1011 CS Hot rolled pickled & oiled sheet
    ASTM A36 angle and bar
    5052 sheet
    3003 sheet

Do any of these substrates pose the risk of cyanide contamination?
    Maybe..

I wonder if any of these materials may have been processed with cyanide compounds prior to coming to your organization. For example there is a steel case hardening process "cyaniding" and perhaps the steel (A36) was not properly cleaned prior to your organization cleaning it.

Other processes that could be a challenge is "Brine Quenching" as well as cyanide based zincates used in the manufacturing of aluminum.

I think that phosphate conversion coatings (also called parkerizing) may use cyanide in the process.
    Last edited by Kelly Bramble; 09-06-2014 at 08:08 AM.