Thread: EOT Crane design

Associate Engineer

:bash: EOT Crane design

Can worm reduction gearbox be used for LT & CT drive of single girder 3 ton EOT crane .

Has someone told you they cannot? More details please.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Has someone told you they cannot? More details please.
    Queryin, coz Helical Gearbox is mostly used as standard for EOT cranes..will it bear the torque generated.. rarely seen worm reduction gearbox for LT & CT Drives...
    our EOT Crane LT & CT drive is PAM Motor 0.75 kw/1 HP , 2880 RPM , frame size 100 , DC Brakes..
    will worm reduction gearbox give the life as that of Helical Gearbox...

pl , suggest worm reduction gearbox with ratio around 28:1 and above motor specs..we are considering bongfigloli make gearbox .. any other can also be considered ...

rest design for EOT crane, single girder, 3 Ton Capacity is under development stage ...

awaiting for deciding on worm reduction gearbox instead of helical gearbox.

we are also stucked in wire rope drum design ...require wire rope with 2 reeving(LH&RH) , 6 Mtr lift , wire rope 10 mm Dia .. we are considering 220 mm Dia , 650 mm long for wire rope drum .... pl suggest...
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 09-07-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: remove html

My experience suggests that when properly applied helical gearboxes may have a higher capacity and lifespan than standard worm gearboxes. I would strongly suggest that you call some of the major gearbox manufacturers and talk personally to their application engineers. You will learn a lot. As an example, many years ago I learned about a company called Cone Drive. They make what they call "double enveloping" worm drives. In dealing with them I learned a great deal about the internal operating geometry of a typical worm gear and I understand why the double enveloping type lasts longer.

If helical drives are used now, there is a reason for that. I would bet its because they work best. Why do you want to change to worm drives? Why take a chance? My gut tells me you're asking for trouble.