Thread: Using an office chair gas cylinder as a lifting/lowering mechanism

Associate Engineer

Confused Using an office chair gas cylinder as a lifting/lowering mechanism

Hello all!
    This is my first post. I'm a mechanical engineering student and I am working on a lifting/lowering mechanism. It would be lifting/lowering 30 lbs. To give a smooth action (versus other options like a winch, jack, etc.), I would like to use the pneumatic gas cylinder in an office chair if possible. I'd have to stack 3 of them to have the extension range I need, but my main question is:

Office chairs (at least mine) do not seem to lower without the force of my weight. So 30 lbs will probably not push down an office chair cylinder, but could this be done somehow?? I think some chairs can be lifted/lowered without someone sitting on them but I could be wrong. Also, how exactly does the control lever work so simply with the replaceable cylinder? I've researched online, but would like a better explanation if possible.

Thank you for any help
    Last edited by MechE; 09-19-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Adapting an office chair for lifting and lowering is possible but it is likely easier and more cost effective to identify and utilize a pneumatic cylinder already adapted for this task.

Search the internet for "Pneumatic cylinder suppliers". Well known OEM's - Parker, Bimba, SMC USA

Associate Engineer
    Would this fix the whole issue of needing a minimum weight to push the cylinder back down though? That seems to be my main issue. (I was going to buy just a cylinder from the chair idea.) I feel like to not need a large weight to push the cylinder back down, I would need some sort of electric cylinder, and right now anything electric is not an option. Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by MechE View Post
    right now anything electric is not an option. Do you agree?
    No... you have yet post details of your requirements, including environment, power access, application, loading, cycle time etc.

In fact, an electric motor-gear application might be perfect..

Associate Engineer
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ask if you agree that electric is not an option. Anything electric is indeed not an option for me. I meant do you agree that without an electric motor-gear, 30 lbs is not enough to lower the cylinder? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MechE View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ask if you agree that electric is not an option. Anything electric is indeed not an option for me. I meant do you agree that without an electric motor-gear, 30 lbs is not enough to lower the cylinder? Thanks!

Well, again I still have no idea what your requirements are. Regardless of your design there will be an energy input requirement in that the chair will rise and fall with a mechanism that will require energy. That energy could be compressed air, hydraulics, electrical, springs or incorporate goat power.

A chair cylinder usually is a spring actuated shock absorber like device with a mechanical lockout. When one sits on the office chair compressing the cylinder/spring is accomplished by releasing the lockout mechanism and raising is done in reverse by the potential energy stored in the spring when the body weigth is removed from the chair. The mechanical energy is first obtained by the human weight applied onto the chair.

Where are you going to get the energy - potential or otherwise to operate the cylinder or other mechanism?
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 09-27-2014 at 08:23 AM.