Thread: Stand/Frame Analysis

Associate Engineer

Stand/Frame Analysis

Hello Everyone,

I have come across another frame situation that I would like to conduct some hand calculations to verify a factor of safety for the stands. I have attached the overall use of the stands. They are effectively used to hold up a crude tank while a welder works underneath to place piping. The stand placements in regards to position from front and back are usually 36" from front and 48" from back. I am not really sure how to go about starting to analyze the each frame. I have figured that the weight would be distributed to each stand based on where the CG is in relation to each stand. From there, I assumed that the weight (force) due to the crude tank would create a downward force and a moment (due to the CG being located further away from the stand being analyzed). But then again, since the crude tank is placed on the stand, would it not transfer moment? Any help would be greatly appreciate on how to approach this analysis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    Any ideas?

The supports will see no moment unless they are rigidly attached to the tank. But I know I would not put my son under that tank unless I knew absolutely for sure that was no possible way, repeat, no possible way that the stands could shift on the ground or that the tank could shift on the stands, or that the stands could fail in a parallelogram fashion, that is, sideways. Either way, I'm going to avoid it altogether. No movable stands at all for me.