Thread: OT: Login drop-out time (Kelly?)

Technical Fellow

OT: Login drop-out time (Kelly?)

Hi Kelly,

What is the drop out time for this forum? It seems to be under ten minutes. I just did a reply with a small sketch and I had to log in again before I could upload the sketch. It took about 5 minutes for the sketch, cutting and sizing and by the time I was ready to upload it, I was already logged out.

A touch irritating to someone who is already disposed to being grumpy.

Any chance of extending that drop out time to 30 minutes?

Bang Head

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi Kelly,

What is the drop out time for this forum? It seems to be under ten minutes. I just did a reply with a small sketch and I had to log in again before I could upload the sketch. It took about 5 minutes for the sketch, cutting and sizing and by the time I was ready to upload it, I was already logged out.

Dave...It was me...I kicked you out for loitering.

Well, I don't know, however I'll try to figure out how to change the cookie timeout.

There is a "Remember Me" check box at the lower left of the log in boxes. I know with this box checked you will stay logged in forever or as long as your browser lets you sty logged in.

Hi Kelly,

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Dave...It was me...I kicked you out for loitering.
    No surprises there Marky, the thought Police are everywhere.

Actually a few weeks back I thought Kelly had intentionally broken the original forum script so that I might wander off and not return. No such luck Kelly, I kept checking back. LOL

I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me :;

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    There is a "Remember Me" check box at the lower left of the log in boxes.
    I have that checked, but does PHPBB really use cookies for the time-out? I would have thought they would use a dynamic variable within the script.

surprise2

Actually a few weeks back I thought Kelly had intentionally broken the original forum script so that I might wander off and not return. No such luck Kelly, I kept checking back. LOL
    You know, and I'm not picking on you, but you where the person who posted last on the previous forum software and scrambled the script. The exact time was 02/15/2011, 09:39:49 - a moment that caused me great pain and suffering trying to figure out what was broke!

Moreover, I had a training class in Detroit for three days, my laptop crashed, as well as my desktop! And it all started with your post!

I have that checked, but does PHPBB really use cookies for the time-out? I would have thought they would use a dynamic variable within the script.
    BTW, this software is vBulletin..

OK, I changed the cookie timeout top 45 minutes. It was set for 15 minutes = 900 seconds

Technical Fellow
    a moment that caused me great pain and suffering trying to figure out what was broke!
    Well, let that be a lesson to you Kelly. Don't mess with the grumpy old farts.

Technical Fellow
    BTW, this software is vBulletin..
    Yeah, well, forgive me for for failing mind-reading 101 way back when. I know the evidence has now been conveniently removed from the old forum, but I was sure you had a message in red saying, "purchased PHPBB and is being installed!" I do sometimes get things wrong though. LOL

Red face

Well, let that be a lesson to you Kelly. Don't mess with the grumpy old farts.
    That's Funny Dave....It's the "grumpy old farts" that make this place....you're a great contributor.

Technical Fellow
    Thanks Marky and I forgot to say a big "THANKS" to Kelly for the 45 minute extension. I had not realized I had taken 15 minutes to do the sketch, in fact longer than that to get booted off for inactivity.

Bummer though, now there is one less thing to get grumpy about.