Thread: Need Help Interpreting angles called out in minutes and seconds

Need Help Interpreting angles called out in minutes and seconds

I have a question about calling out angles in minutes and seconds. According to ASME Y14.5 (1994), sect. 1.5.4, a callout using minutes (‘) and seconds (“) must be preceded by a X°.

0° 15’
    would be the same as .25°.

Is there any standard stating how to interpret this type of callout if the degrees are not specified?
    15’ would be the same as ????°.

Is there any standard stating how to interpret this type of callout if the degrees are not specified? 15’ would be the same as ????°.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking...

Engineering drawings are interpreted to whatever standard is specified on the engineering drawing. If the engineering drawing does not have an "Interpret per. Standard # ...." statement then anything goes.

If you have an "anything goes" engineering drawing I suppose 15' (minutes) is known to be .25° by tribal knowledge and known math syntax.

The point of having standards specified on engineering drawings to get everybody on the same page in terms of interpretation as well as drawing drafting practices consistency.

Thank you Kelly. I felt the drawing meant .25°. I totally agree about using a dimensioning standard and specifying it on the drawing.

Associate Engineer
    15' = 0.25°

Division factor for min to Deg is 1/60

John,

That is how I interpreted it. Actually though, without 0° preceding 15', it means 15 feet. If you have a standard that says it doesn't require X°, please let me know. I am about to have to correct a lot of drawings.