Thread: Scuba filter design

Associate Engineer

Scuba filter design

Hi you guys, I'm working on a project and would like your help. I would like to build my own scuba filter. I have a oilless compressor that can go up to 5000psi. I only need to go up to 3000si max.I am a certified machinist , not a engineer. I have 2 choices of material-7075 aluminum or 316 SS-(please let me know if you think there is something better). I was wanting it to be 16 long x 3 inch dia with a .685 wall for the AL and maybe .250 for the SS. I would make threaded I.D caps about a 11/2 long with Orings. Any suggestion would help. I have successfully made a desiccant filter 12x2x .500 out of 6061 t6 that I have taken up to 6000psi (I was very scared to test it)--I use it at 4500psi. Was I crazy for doing that?? Please let me know what you think Thanks I also sell the compressors if you need one--I guess I'm asking, Is my wall thickness safe?
    Last edited by dieanotherday; 10-12-2014 at 09:02 PM.

I have 2 choices of material-7075 aluminum or 316 SS-(please let me know if you think there is something better). I was wanting it to be 16 long x 3 inch dia with a .685 wall for the AL and maybe .250 for the SS.

Well, guessing at the wall thicknesses is not an optimal approach. You really need an analysis and a functional proof-load test following construction if you're going to use this.

FYI, I would use SS, 304 or better in my design with material trace-ability.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 10-13-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Lead Engineer
    I would like to infroce the statements by Kelly regarding the need for proper strength analysis and the need for function proof-load (pressurize to failure) testing and should be tested to a minmum of the recommended proof pressure standard for this type of equipment.

At same time, since you did not state how you perfomed your pressure test so I feel it is imparative for me to warn you: PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN AND OTHERS SAFETY DO NOT EVER DO ANY TYPE OF HIGH PRESSURE TESTING USING AIR, particularly at the pressure levels you are dealing with. Water testing pressurized by a small displacement pump should be used; and, never with an air over water arrangement with an air compressor as an alternative. This testing should also be performed in a facility with adequate safety containment for the tank and/or equipment during testing.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you, I shall heed your advice

Associate Engineer
    OK, I just got back from the destructive laboratory. They did their test, 0-6,100psi 75x, then they ran a burst test. My filter held to 12,400 psi. I'm happy with that. Thanks for your advice.