Thread: Converting newtons to lbs. per inch

Associate Engineer

Converting newtons to lbs. per inch

Is there a way to convert ? I want to compare coil springs that are rated in newtons to springs that are rated in pounds per inch of compression. Any ideas? Thanks for reading this.

Lead Engineer
    CORRECTION NOTE: When I stated "spring rate must be stated as force/unit length" in the original below post, that statement should have read "spring rate must be stated as force/unit deflection".

Newtons is a unit of force only and spring rate must be stated as force/unit length; therefore, the metric equivalent of lbs/inch must be newtons/meter or newtons/cm or something of that form. Assuming the metric spring rate is in newtons/cm then straightforward conversions of the units of newtons to lbs and cm to inch should solve your problem.
    Last edited by JAlberts; 10-20-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Terminology error correction

Associate Engineer
    Thank you, unfortunately the only spec for this spring is "Newtons".

Lead Engineer
    While it does not affect the apparent issue at hand, I mispoke my above entry when I stated "spring rate must be stated as force/unit length". That statement should have read "spring rate must be stated as force/unit deflection".

I apologize for such an obvious error.

Associate Engineer
    Is stating spring force in newtons/cm the customary way to rate a spring in the metric world?

Lead Engineer
    A quick check of suppliers on the internet indicates the standard metric unit for spring rate is Newtons/mm.

Associate Engineer
    ok, thanks.