Thread: Mechanical or Computer Engineering, which one is more demanded?

Associate Engineer

Mechanical or Computer Engineering, which one is more demanded?

Hi guys, since I have a year to choose, I would like to know: which field gives me more opportunities to get sponsored to work in the USA?
    I like both, so I choose according the opportunities they give. On equal terms, I would go for mechanical, since it's way wider, but I wouldn't mind being a computer/software engineer.
    It's my dream to come to the states and work, so I'll take whichever gives me more chances.
    Thanks in advance!

Senior Engineer
    I think both have their own demand and values. This is a practical way for engineering purposes and is very beneficial. You can go for your best choice both have values.

Associate Engineer
    That really depends on your personality and career goals. They're both good professional degrees with excellent career prospects. There's more demand right now for both mechanical engineers and software engineers.

Associate Engineer
    All these streams are quite popular. You can go in for the one that interests you. In terms of salary the pay package offered for those from computer, IT is high in the country. Mechanical Engineers will find lesser salaries unless they join streams like Merchant Navy.

Engineer
    I can't give you a direct answer to your question, but I just recently graduated with a Bachelor's in Mechanical engineering, and I have a friend from Nepal who I graduated with who did have some difficulty finding a full-time position with a company that would sponsor his VISA, because I guess it's something like 20K for the company to do that. Now his grades weren't anything spectacular (he had just under a 3.0 if I remember correctly), but a couple months after graduation, he ended up landing a 6 month internship with a medical device company (where he worked his --- off validating drawings, writing reports, and things like that), and while he was working, he continued searching for positions. In the end, the company he was with ended up hiring him on full-time and sponsoring his VISA.

This is all I know on the subject, but both are great fields. If I didn't go into Mechanical Engineering, Comp Sci would have been my next choice. I'd say choose the one you think you'll enjoy the most.

EDIT:

My friend was salaried at 55K
    Last edited by Braren; 05-20-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Associate Engineer
    I think Mechanical field is a good one you will be fit in this if you have experience in physical skill mechanical work is so, hard and hardworking jobs in this perspective i would prefer to you focus on product clarity to getting more help to see the site of peter solomon design have industrial product company.

Both are good professional degrees with excellent career prospects.Going which way is really depends on your personality and career goals.

Associate Engineer
    Both the streams are having equal preferences,If we see in case of job opportunities all the companies are paying good.Which one to choose is completely on your interest,why because both are different backgrounds.