Thread: Validating complex ANSYS models

Associate Engineer

Validating complex ANSYS models

Hello,

I am a 4th year Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering student, working on a 2D static analysis of a clasp under significant loading, using ANSYS. Modelling the geometry, applying loads and boundary conditions, and creating what I think is a refined, reliable mesh is all relatively easy. In trying to validate the model though, my theoretical calculated value for max. displacement is about 8% off the ANSYS result (max deflection in Ansys is 0.056215 mm, max calculated deflection is 0.0517 mm, too different to be considered acceptable by the lecturer).
    I have found several variations of the formula I'm using for validation purposes but they only represent a fraction of the full geometry I'm trying to analyse. We have gone through a similar example with lecturers, but they did not validate their results. The geometry is shown below, with the force being applied in the vertical direction, facing upwards, applied to the top surface of the slot:

If anyone has any idea as to how to validate this model please let me know, our lecturers are not willing to share the information with us and treating the top section of the geometry as a fixed support beam under a UDL does not garner accurate results for max deflection.

Any help with this is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If anyone has any idea as to how to validate this model please let me know, our lecturers are not willing to share the information with us

In industry the best engineers have a peer review of our designs and analysis. I would guess that your lecturer does not know what peer review means or wants you to do the work "maverick".
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Lead Engineer
    I think I can state, without violating our homework rule, that I believe your theoretical calculation is reliable and your problem is in full view on your model.