Thread: Bit Error Rate of Digital Modulation Techniques

Associate Engineer

Bit Error Rate of Digital Modulation Techniques

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. It is an honor to meet all of you.

Currently i am working on a communication system design for a line of sight communication link. I need to find out the bit error rate of these following techniques: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM and 32QAM.

My thoughts are that, to demonstrate the efficiency of the given techniques, I should be using graphs of BER vs Signal-to-Noise ratio and/or BER vs Eb/N0. My trouble is that, i was able to calculate BER using the set values of transmitted power, bandwidth and data rate. However, my supervisor advised that the calculated BER values are wrong and i should refer to the typical graphs of BER vs Eb/N0 in illustrated in books, such as the link stated below.

(view the ones in black headings)

Knowing the given concepts, the eb/n0 is found against using a typical value of 10^-7 BER value to demonstrate the effectiveness of a real-life receiver sensitivity threshold. However, given the set parameters, the eb/n0 for the different modulations is set to be lower and these values are perceived to be wrong by my supervisor.

In that case, what are the methods that i could do to demonstrate the effectiveness of my communication systems, and also to show that it meets the requirements of a minimum 10^-7 value with the set values of transmitted power, bandwidth, and data rates?

The given values are as follows:
    1) Transmitted Power - 10 Watts
    2) Bandwidth - 20 MHz
    3) Data rate - 16Mbps
    4) Frequency used - 800Hz, 900Hz, 1.24GHz, 1.8GHz, 2GHz, 2.1GHz, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz

Thank you so much everyone who had viewed this post. I greatly appreciate everyone whom is able to give me guidance on this matter. Thank you so much again

Regards,
    Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 11-21-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Attach image directly to webpage