Thread: Same datum (say Datum B) be attached to the same feature be shown in multiple views

Associate Engineer

Same datum (say Datum B) be attached to the same feature be shown in multiple views

Can the same datum (say Datum B) be attached to the same feature be shown in multiple views on a drawing? E.G. the datum A symbol attached to the same feature in all the views exists on the front view, side view, and section view in a drawing I am currently looking at. I have generally never done that but where I am working now I see it on most of the drawings.

I personally find it confusing in most instances that I have seen it used but I have not been able to figure out if it is allowed by the standards. Is it allowed and if so is there any guidance on proper usage?

Project Engineer
    Sure, that can be done as long as they are all tagged to the same feature. In the ASME Y14.5 standard, the pertinent paragraph number is 3.3.2 -- I think the sixth sentence in.

Yes, it's ok however, I prefer to show datum specifications on my engineering drawing at just one place - usually on the first page.

Drawing clutter rarely helps in addition to the possibility of miss-attaching the datum or future drawing changes that could result in confusing datum specifications.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 12-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.