Thread: Looking for suggestions/help making a hot stamp die (bookbinding)

Associate Engineer

Looking for suggestions/help making a hot stamp die (bookbinding)

I would have otherwise used the search function to reduce redundant questions, but I wasn't able to get it to work properly so here I post. First post on this forum, I hope I managed to stay within the rules.

I'm looking to have a design stamped onto the cover of a leather book, which is a project I've been working on for some time. With no practical skills in the area I have been doing a lot of research. I've gotten to the point now where the bookbinding and leather working is under control, so I'm starting to move towards fixing my next roadblock, the stamp.

I believe the process is called hot stamping, and from what I understand, I'm going to need to find a way to get the intricate design I would like cut, or otherwise formed, out of a metal block (possibly other materials). Magnesium was suggested as a cheap starting point.

The design, which I have attached a low quality scan, is intricate, and I have no idea how/where to begin seeking help. Most bookbinders have their own process, probably contractors or the like, to machine the metal for custom designs (look up Franklin Library for some example of professionally done books). This, however, is prohibitively expensive, and geared towards publishers who print hundreds or thousands of books.

I only want to make 1 print of this onto the cover, so I am also looking for a potentially cheaper alternative. If anyone has anything they might offer, I'd greatly appreciate it. If this is not the correct place to ask, if anyone might point me in the right direction I'd also appreciate that.

I have only just started looking into this, so I might not have terminology correct, so sorry if the above makes little sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lead Engineer
    You might look into a photo-etching process using aluminum as a less expensive method of getting the die you require.