Thread: Advice for potential of contracting design services

Associate Engineer

Advice for potential of contracting design services

Hi folks,

I've been toying with this since my last bout of contract work, and am wondering about doing it again with a few lessons learned.

I'm a technologist by trade, and have over a decade under my belt so I feel like I have enough to offer.

Are there any contractor/consulants out there that could offer advise?

Thanks!

I assume you are referring to working with a contract house or maybe selling yourself directly to potential employers.
    I have never personally worked as a sub-contractor with a contract house however I have known many over the years. I do and have worked a contract trainer and consultant for many-many years.

What I do know about contract designer engineers and engineers is that you should prepared for travel to various locations, have diverse CAD, CAM, and CAE software skills and be willing to take on the less than optimal job tasks.

Moreover, know that these jobs can last for short duration and sometimes people transition into permanent positions.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the reply. I'm considering this note than ever with our economy downturn recently in Alberta. There are a number of companies going this route. Thanks again. We'll see what the future holds.